Crickhowell maintain league and cup challenges with double win

By Brecon and Radnor Reporter in Rugby

Tredegar RFC 8 Crickhowell RFC 18

In a top-of-the-table-clash of WRU League 3 East D, it was the unbeaten Crickhowell RFC who emerged the victors, playing for the majority of the game with 14 men. In a game eagerly anticipated by both sides, it was the visitors who took the game to Tredegar early on when the wily and hard-working Tom Canning gained the ball and touched down for the first score of the afternoon. The try was unconverted. Not long afterwards it was the turn of full-back Harry Summers to use his speed and make best use of the wide Recreation Ground pitch to elude his opponents and touch down between the posts with Danny Davies converting. With the ferocity off the tackling from both sides, it was a half of many stoppages as the physios ran on to tend to players. Tredegar pulled back three points from a penalty. With the Crickhowell pack dominating the scrums, another penalty was awarded to the visitors and Danny Davies added three points to Crickhowell’s tally. Trouble began to loom for the visitors when they were reduced to 14 men when one of their wingers was red-carded, having been spotted by the ref retaliating after several provocations. Tredegar took full advantage from the resulting penalty to score a try which was unconverted. The remainder of the half, and the game, was a testament to the tenacity of the Crickhowell side who showed just why they have been undefeated in the league this year with a splendid defensive effort and searing breaks into their opponent’s territory. Tredegar’s defence too, was praiseworthy, as they managed to hold out after extensive pressure on their line but they conceded another penalty in so doing which Davies again slotted home. It was good to see new dad John Jones return to the side as a replacement in the second half. The final score was Tredegar 8 Crickhowell 18. With games yet to play for both teams the league positions are not yet final but the signs are looking good for the regenerated side. Next Saturday sees them at home as they welcome Powys rivals Tref-y-Clawdd. With another Powys team, Rhayader, plus Cwmbran’s Girlings RFC and a cup semi-final against Forgeside and possibly a final still to play, the end of the season is a busy time for the Parc Broyd outfit.

Forgeside RFC 23 Crickhowell RFC 30

On Tuesday 18th Crickhowell RFC faced their second stern test of the week when they travelled to take on Forgeside RFC in the semi-final of the Ivor Jones Cup. Both sides seemed determined to run the ball and it was Crick who were first to apply pressure near the Forgeside line. It was not until a quarter of an hour that Crick were able to break through when centre Nick Dixon touched down with Tom Keane converting. Keane added a further 3 points shortly after from a penalty. This seemed to fire up Forgeside who followed up swiftly with a penalty of their own and then a try from one of their props. Crickhowell were then reduced to 14 men for the rest of the game following indiscipline from their winger and Forgeside capitalised with their winger running in a second try, which was converted leaving the half-time score standing at Forgeside 15 Crickhowell 10.

Early in the second half the numbers evened up when a Forgeside player was yellow-carded. Now it was the visitorsÕ turn to dominate with multi-try-scorer hooker Jake Powell-Thomas twice crossing the line with his trademark move, much to the delight, and envy, of his teammates. Both tries were converted by Keane. A further penalty for the home team saw them close the gap a little but two further penalties from the boot of Tom Keane pushed CrickÕs score up even further. Forgeside rallied once more but time was now against them. Nevertheless, they scored another unconverted try just before the final whistle, leaving the final score at Forgeside 23 Crickhowell 30. One of the Forgeside players unfortunately broke a finger during the match. Hopefully, he will recover quickly.

The final against Usk 2nds takes place on Friday 28th April at Pontypool UnitedÕs Memorial Ground, Pontypool, NP4 6HL with kick-off at 7.00 pm. It looks set to be a thrilling encounter.