£22m new school plans on show

By Twm Owen in Local People

PLANS for the new £22 million Brecon High School are going on show at an informal drop-in evening.

Parents and other members of the public will have the chance to view the progress made with plans for the new 11-to-18 school.

There will also be chance to talk to representatives of contractors BAM, the school and county council staff.

The event will be held in the Main Hall at Brecon High School from 4pm to 8pm on Wednesday, July 19.

The project will see the existing secondary school replaced with new school buildings, fit to meet the demands of education in the 21st century

BAM has extensive experience in the design and construction of a range of public buildings in Wales and across the United Kingdom, bringing together the demands of function with aesthetic appeal.

The Outline Business Case for the construction of the new 11-18 school in Brecon, to replace the current School buildings was approved last autumn as part of the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools and Education Programme.

Rob Broadbridge, head teacher at Brecon High School, said: "All parties have been working hard to progress the plans so that they meet the current and future needs of the school as well as maximise the funding available for the project."

Councillor Myfanwy Alexander, cabinet member for schools, said: "These are exciting times for the school community of Brecon and we are looking forward to the provision of top quality educational facilities here."

Mr Broadbridge added that the current plans have been shared with staff and pupils. Staff, parents and other stakeholders have already had the opportunity to contribute to the development of the designs.

Last week Powys council’s cabinet reversed a decision to close the Welsh stream at Brecon High School. During that meeting Cllr Alexander referred to the council’s current contribution towards the new school building as £13m.