James Evans MS has voiced his concerns about the Welsh Government’s proposals to change the school year, ahead of the consultation closing next week.
One proposal includes shortening the summer break.
Under the proposal, the summer break could be reduced, meaning schools would be open during the Royal Welsh Show - which traditionally runs during the first week of the school summer holidays.
The proposals, which were first announced last year, has been opposed by every teaching union in Wales. The unions have written to Education Minister Jeremy Miles, saying it will "damage" children's education and the plan is a distraction when schools face a funding, behaviour and recruitment crisis.
The six-week summer break would be cut to five or four weeks under Welsh Government proposals out for consultation, which ends on February 12.
Mr Evans is also concerned about the “massive impact” the proposals could have the Royal Welsh Show, and many other shows and events across Wales.
Those calculations are based on “reduced gate sales, membership, and camping revenue”, the the Royal Welsh Agricultural Society says.
The Brecon and Radnorshire MS is now urging his constituents to have their say on the consultation, which can be found here.
“Shortening the school year will have a massive impact on the Royal Welsh show, and its long-term viability,” said Mr Evans.
“Thousands of children have competed at the Royal Welsh over the years, and I want to see this continue.
“These proposals are a distraction from the real issues that Welsh Government should be tackling – poor education results, lack of funding in our schools, and a recruitment and retention crisis in teaching and non-teaching staff.
“It is really important that everybody responds to the consultation that the Welsh Government are running about the school term time. Make sure you have your say before the closing date on February 12.”