Brecon recorded a resounding 29-0 victory against fifth-placed Dunvant at the weekend. 

With the bonus point try secured, head coach, Dale McIntosh summed the afternoon up perfectly: “Today we saw a big performance against a big side. Our defence was outstanding and our play in general was excellent. We obviously were in a good place mentally and physically we did all that was asked of us.

McIntosh thanked his players and his coaching team of Gavin Dacey, Owen Sheppeard and Darran Harris, but added: “Well done today, but we have another mountain to climb when we face unbeaten league leaders, Narberth, on our own patch next Saturday.”

For the first 40 minutes Brecon played into the wind and they were put under pressure particularly when outside half Adam Williams Parry used the wind, both to gain ground, and to exert territorial pressure.

But when the half-time whistle arrived the scoreboard read, Brecon 7, Dunvant 0. That seven-point lead, against the wind, was earned, not just by the defence, but also with some great finishing and very exciting attacking play.

The first try came from a line-out and drive which Dunvant held. Scrum half Geraint Workman then took control of the ball with a look to the narrow blind side before booming out a long pass to inside centre Tomos Davies. He took the ball on the run and delivered a lovely pass to outside half Jake Newman who had looped outside. With blind side wing, Sam Jones in the line as a decoy, Newman threw a great long pass out to full back Jake Crockett, who left the last defender with an outside step and ran in to score his 10th try of an injury disrupted season. Newman converted.

The second half started well for the home side when Dunvant were caught offside at the breakdown and Newman easily increased Brecon’s lead to 10 points. After a further eight minutes Brecon increased their lead again. Edwards won a line-out off Aneurin James’ throw and again Workman passed straight to Tomos Davies. The centre linked with partner Tom Richards who almost made the try line with his straight run. When the ball was recycled the Dunvant defence had been drawn and Newman’s wide pass put wing Sam Davies over for his 17th try of the season.

On the hour mark Brecon scored their third try. Again the play started with a line-out on the Dunvant 22. This time James threw short for Thomas Davies to win the ball. Tom Richards again broke the first line of defence and Osian Davies carried to within seven metres of the line. A quick Tomos Davies pop pass to supporting Ioan Edwards, kept the move flowing and from the breakdown, man of the match, Jake Newman dummied through the disorganised defence to score and convert.

With 20 minutes to go and with the wind and a 22 point lead Brecon should have comfortably claimed their bonus try but they were made to work hard for it after Dunvant threated twice.

The game then was marred by a few unsavoury incidents as players lost control. 

When things finally settled down, Brecon finished strongly. A move which looked to have created a try was pulled back for crossing then the ball was dropped on the try line before a great Newman 50/22 kick gave Brecon a line out in the corner. Brecon drove and Dunvant were penalised. From the scrum Brecon drove to the line before the ball popped out. Brecon managed to regain the ball and off the breakdown second row Sam Parry scored and Newman converted.

To crown a great afternoon Brecon Athletic defeated Dunvant by 17 points to 7 with man of the match Josh Hamilton scoring a great try. Then the news came through that the youth team won by 46 points to 12 at Dinas Powys for a very successful and productive match day.