A man who died after he was found unconscious in the public toilets in Brecon has been named by police who have revealed they have made an arrest in connection with the death.

Gary Shearer was found unconscious in the toilets at Lion Yard between 4pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday, July 2 when police were called.

Gary, who lived in Brecon and was well known in the town centre, died in hospital shortly after.

Dyfed-Powys Police said it has arrested a 34-year-old man.

A police spokeswoman said: “Dyfed-Powys Police has arrested a 34-year-old man on suspicion of administering a noxious substance in connection with a sudden death in Brecon.

“He has been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

“We attended Lion Yard, in Brecon, at around 6.40pm on Tuesday, July 2 to a report of a medical emergency.

"Colleagues from the Wales Ambulance Service also attended, but sadly, a man died a short time after in hospital. His next of kin has been informed.

"Police are investigating the death, and would like to speak with anyone who used the public toilets in Lion Yard between 4pm and 6.30pm."

The public toilets in Lion Yard, in Brecon town centre, have been closed all morning and police staff have been seen taking photographs of the toilet block. A man in a shirt and tie was also seen entering the toilets from a private door behind a gate. The female toilets remain open.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said it was called a 6.21pm to reports a man had been been found unconscious.

A spokesman said: "We responded with two rapid response vehicles and one ambulance. One patient was transported by road ambulance to Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny.”

Paul Hanson, of Brecon Books, said police had blocked the road, past his shop, when he turned from Lion Street, into the lane, to drop stock off.

He said: "It was about 6.15 or 6.30 last night and the police had blocked the road off, there were a couple of police cars.

"I just backed up as you couldn’t get through to the car park and an ambulance turned up."

A woman, who asked not be named, said she was leaving work when somebody asked her if she had seen an ambulance and at that point the two paramedic cars arrived.

Shopkeeper Guman Limbu, whose Himal Spices shop, is opposite the toilet block said he was unaware of what happened in the toilets. He said: "I saw an ambulance but I was busy serving customers."

Anyone with information should call Dyfed-Powys Police on 101 quoting reference DP-20190702-327.