Powys County Council is now seeking contractors to build a new 150-place dual stream school for Sennybridge C.P. School.

The tender package for prospective contractors has been published this week.

The new school will be funded by the Welsh Government, who will provide 65 per cent of the funding through its Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme (formerly the 21st Century Schools Programme). The remaining 35 per cent will be funded by the council.

The project, which will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, will see the council deliver a new facility with early years and community provision. This facility will replace the current school buildings and playing facilities within the grounds of the existing school.

The scheme will be built to Net Zero Carbon in operation and to Passivhaus standards, which will create an energy efficient building.

Improved car parking, playing fields and highway access will also form part of the development.

Cllr Pete Roberts, Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys, said: “Sennybridge C.P. School’s existing building is not suitable to meet the needs of a 21st century curriculum or meet the well-being needs of pupils.

“The publication of the tender package is a major step forward for this school building project.

“The new school for Sennybridge would provide facilities that the children deserves and will enable the curriculum to be delivered in a continuous and coherent way from the Foundation Stage through to the end of Key Stage 2.”