The session also took place ahead of a bid to Bannau Brycheiniog National Park Authority's Heritage Fund this Autumn.

An old map of Talgarth.
An old map of Talgarth. (Provided)

The meeting also served to collect memories of life in the town before the closure of the railway in 1963 and the construction of the A479 Relief Road, which marks its 20th birthday in 2027.

Over 60 people attended the session, and strong support was registered for the proposal.

Talgarth Petrol pump project
Over 60 people attended the meeting. (Provided)

The Petrol Pump is the last remaining object to remind anyone of the activity in that area of Talgarth before the closure of the railway.

The present car park was once the Railway Yard with all manner of activities relating to the commercial life in the town.

A map of the area opposite New House, showing the Railway Yard, was displayed alongside other images. The map showed various buildings that are no longer in existence and generated a lot of discussion and memories about activities in the Yard. Apart from the farm, the Davies family of New House had a thriving Haulage business and bus company.

Not for Resale Petrol Pump.
Not for Resale Petrol Pump. (Provided)

Charles Davies was an agent for the Brecon Coal and Lime Company, and there were buildings in the Railway Yard used for storage.

Coal was delivered to the (former) Mid Wales Hospital and to the then Sanatorium at Bronllys. The haulage business began in 1905 with horse-drawn vehicles and, in 1922 they started to use motors.

When the Western Welsh Omnibus Company withdrew part of their services in the early 1930s, Charles Davies and his three sons came to the rescue and started a bus service.

In 1934, they took on Mr Thomas’s Usk Valley Services. There was eventually a fleet of coaches, named Enterprise, used for school runs, and all manner of outings, including trips to Barry Island, Porthcawl, and Tenby.

There was also the transport of livestock directly from farms and markets, and the railway was also an important service. There were loading bays for animals at Hay Farmers Co-op, next to what is now the Gwernyfed Rugby Club, and was then a Maltster.

Livestock was walked through the town, where the market itself was in The Square, until the new purpose built market was opened on its current site in 1925.

There were four coaches in operation in the 1950s, two Bedford 29 seater OBs, one was maroon and cream, the other green and cream, and two buses that were believed to have been bought brand new, Bedford SBs 33 seaters.

One contributor seemed to remember the registration numbers being AEU 179 and BEU 173 (from 1952/1953)! All the vehicles were fuelled by petrol from the pump outside New House, which had a globe saying 'Not for resale’.

The Davies family ran a couple of Bedford lorries, a big seven-tonner flat bed with a demountable cattle float body and an ex WD lorry (LEU 711) used for delivering coal.

Petrol was carried in cans from the railway to other garages in the town.

One of the first petrol pumps in Wales was situated on The Square in Talgarth, set up by David Evans. Supplies of petrol would be delivered to Talgarth station by train, 500 gallons at a time, in 2 gallon square shaped cans with a handle and sealed brass screw on cap.

It is said that Charles Davies would transport the cans from the station to The Square with his horse and cart, which knew his own way, there and back, then all he had to do was break the seals and pour the fuel into the underground tank ready to be pumped up for sale. The empty cans would be put back on to the empty railway truck, as there was a hefty deposit on the cans.

Mail was carried from the trains in a small lorry converted from a Ford Car.

At the meeting, many mentioned going to Gwernyfed School on the train, and after the closure of the railway aboard Davies’ buses. The buses took them straight to the school, avoiding the lengthy walk from the station.

After the closure of the railway in 1963, there were memories of using the Yard and old line as a playground, and the old Weighbridge became a popular den for local children.

As well as confirming strong local support for the Petrol Pump restoration bid, the popularity of the drop-in has also triggered a follow-up meeting to guage interest in relaunching the currently dormant Talgarth Historical Association.

The meeting is due to take place at The Castle Hotel, Talgarth on Thursday, 10 September, from 7:00pm. If you would like to express an interest or for more information, please email: [email protected]