Builth Wells caused an upset on Saturday afternoon by defeating recently-crowned Lock stock Ardal North East champions Penrhyncoch 1-0 at an sun-drenched Lant Field.

The visitors made a strong start on a warm afternoon besides the River Wye as Dan Owen drove towards the penalty area in the eighth minute but pulled his ensuing shot wide of the far post.

Christy Gale raced through on goal three minutes later bit was denied by stand-in Builth Wells goalkeeper Dave Thomas who used his feet to keep out the attempt on goal.

An understrength Bulls team were having to withstand a barrage of pressure from the champions during the early stages of this encounter.

Penrhyncoch's Taylor Watts pulled a 25-yard drive wide of goal in the 13th minute before Cameron Allen placed his effort the wrong side of the far post from a corner three minutes later.

The Roosters were becoming more frustrated as they were unable to convert any of the goal scoring chances created during the opening quarter of this end of season encounter as Watts fired over the target from 25 yards.

The Ceredigion club were made to pay for their missed opportunities when Tommy Rowlands ran on to a Ryan Powell pass before lifting the ball over the advancing Leigh Jenkins in the Penrhyncoch goal.

The champions were nearly punished again for their profligacy in the 42nd minute when Rowlands raced on a through ball to lob Jenkins again but this time the ball landed on top of the netting.

In the second half, Davies saw his effort blocked from the edge of the penalty area in the 56th minute as Penrhyncoch probed the home defence immediately from the restart.

The Bulls responded three minutes later when Ryan Powell headed wide of the target from a corner before Owen picked-up the ball from a 61st minute throw-in on the left touchline and drove towards goal but his ensuing shot was saved by Thomas at the second attempt.

Penrhyn skipper Tomos Evans cut into the penalty area off the right flank in the 73rd minute but his effort on goal was blocked.

The Bulls immediately proceeded to break quickly upfield but goal scorer Rowlands was denied by a well-timed challenge from Sion James just as he was about to pull the trigger. The Penrhyncoch substitute was very much in the action at that stage of the proceedings as he headed over the crossbar from a 74th minute corner.

The Roosters thought they had finally equalised nine minutes later when a cross from the right flank was met by Evans, only a few feet in front of goal, but his downwards header bounced over the crossbar.

The visitors continued to sustain the pressure in the closing stages with Allen's 25-yard drive fizzing over the crossbar in the 88th minute before substitute Geoff Kellway struck his stoppage time effort wide of goal from the edge of the penalty area.

McPhee's men were left to enjoy a hard fought victory over the champions upon the final whistle before Evans collected the championship trophy to begin the celebrations for the Ceredigion club.