Just a month into the 2026/27 financial year, concerns have been raised over Powys Teaching Health Board’s (PTHB) budget position after it reported being over its planned deficit for April.
At a board meeting on Wednesday, May 20, members were updated on the financial position for the first month of the new year.
The report showed that at the end of April the health board had a £5.42 million deficit, which is £1.703 million higher than the planned £3.72 million deficit.
The board agreed an annual financial plan in March forecasting a £44.64 million deficit, which has been submitted to the Welsh Government.
Finance director Pete Hopgood told members the figures represented an early snapshot and that the plan remained “unsupported” until signed off by Welsh ministers.
He said: “We will be monitoring our financial performance against that plan which includes a savings target of £22.9 million.”
He added that the health board was currently “circa 70 per cent” towards delivering its savings target, with around £16 million identified so far.
“That means that there’s plans and actions in place, but we need to ensure there is ongoing focus around delivery of those plans,” he said.
A Financial Recovery Board has been established to support efforts to balance the books, which Mr Hopgood said was helping to “strengthen attention and focus on delivering savings”.
Independent board member for finance Steve Elliot said the overspend at this early stage was a concern.
He said that a straight-line projection could indicate a potential overspend of up to £20 million against the planned position by year end.
He questioned whether wider operational pressures were being considered by the recovery board.
Mr Hopgood said work would focus on areas of uncertainty and that “remedial action” would be taken where necessary.





Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.