Builth Wells lifted the Aspidistra Radnorshire Cup for the first time in 32 seasons following a 3-2 extra-time victory over holders Radnor Valley in a pulsating final at Llanandras Park.

The Bulls had ended the season two places above the Goats in the Lock Stock Ardal North East table and made a strong start to this well-attended final.

Tommy Rowlands' near post effort flew over the crossbar from a third minute cross on the right before Danny Hall was played through on goal 60 seconds later but saw his shot cleared off the line after rounding goalkeeper Otto Jones.

Hall's fifth minute effort from the edge of the penalty area was saved by Jones before the Builth Wells striker found the side netting after a 16th minute free-kick was played into the Radnor Valley penalty area.

The holders would end the first-half much stronger than they started it as Callum Matthews struck an effort straight at Bulls' goalkeeper Kham Steventon after a 40th minute free-kick was headed into his path before penalty appeals for a foul on Joey Price were waived away by referee Callum Richards.

However, it was Builth Wells who broke the deadlock in the 44th minute when Lyndon Jones drilled home a low shot from 25 yards after the Radnor Valley players momentarily hesitated after assistant referee Nigel Mathias had raised his flag for handball by Matt Croose, but played was allowed to continue by the referee, before the ball found the back of the net.

The Radnor Valley management team of Adam Jones and Croose would have been disappointed to have conceded on the stroke of the interval but pleased by how his charges responded to disappointing run of league results towards the end of the campaign.

Builth Wells manager Dylan McPhee would have well aware that his team would need to score again, if they were to secure the silverware, despite having completing a league double over their rivals.

Joey Price tried his luck with a 25 yard free-kick in the 61st minute before Radnor levelled the scores three minutes later when Matthews rose highest at a corner to plant his header firmly past Steventon.

Charlie Beaumont latched on to a 77th minute through ball but placed his shot narrowly wide of the far post. Builth Wells substitute Aeron Powell pulled his effort wide of goal from the edge of the penalty area 60 seconds later but he was more successful in the 80th minute when played through on goal to coolly finish past Jones whilst under pressure from Elliot Morris and Ieuan Price.

Radnor Valley substitute Elliot Morris' 85th minute effort from the edge of the penalty area was blocked before another replacement for the Goats, Jack Clarke, saw his close-range effort turned over the crossbar by Steventon three minutes later.

Just when it had appeared that the county cup was heading to Builth Wells, the holders netted a dramatic equaliser in the eighth minute of stoppage time, when Morris headed home from a Joey Price free-kick out on the left flank.

Radnor nearly went ahead in the second minute of extra-time when Clarke struck an upright from close range-before fellow substitute Geraint Lloyd saw his follow-up effort blocked.

Despite the disappointment of conceding a late goal, the Bulls regained the lead three minutes later, when the hard-working Rowlands was set free on goal to tuck past the advancing Jones.

The Goats push for an equaliser in the closing stages, with Joey Price seeing his 119th minute free-kick clip the top of the crossbar, but it was Bulls captain Chris Roff who would receive the trophy from Linda and Daryl Eaton of the Aspidistra Restaurant.

Builth Wells cup win
Bulls captain Chris Roff receiving the trophy from Linda and Daryl Eaton of the Aspidistra Restaurant (Copyright: Barcud-Coch Photography) (.)