Brecon Corries made it four wins in a row in the Ardal League South East with a thrilling victory at Aberbargoed Buds on Friday night.



Corries had topscorer, Joel Evans between the posts with Declan Gaydon serving his one-match ban. Player-manager, Damien Daniels was also without Jack Bain (suspended), Jordan Baker (working) and Joe Cooper (injured) but Luke Roughley returned following a one match suspension.

Daniels admitted Corries were probably slightly second best in a goalless first half but started the second half well and captain, Dale Evans broke the deadlock six minutes after the restart with his fourth goal in as many games when he headed in from brother, Craig’s cross.

The host responded with two goals in four minutes around the hour mark, the first from Abdulrasheed Ibrahim and the second from Gavin Meacham who latched on to a long clearance from keeper, Jonathan Green.

Nyle Slade drew Corries level and the outstanding Paul Keddle, who was man-of-the-match with his tireless running up front, slotted the winner on 73 minutes. Corries did ride their luck a little bit in the closing stages with Joel Evans producing a good save and Corey Evans clearing one off the line while Aberbargoed also hit the post. But Corries held out as their excellent run continues.



Llandrindod Wells saw their mid season dip in form continue as they fell to defeat in North Wales in the Ardal League North East.

The Spa men welcomed Daryl Nicholls, Will Cleaton and Zak Baker back from injury but were without Shaun Nicholls, Robbie Nicholls, Kieran McCarley , Jack Evans and Samed De Groot as well as long term absentees, Bob Kear and Fin Francis.

Penycae took an early lead through Austin Owen with Llandrindod caught napping and that was all that separated the teams at half-time. Llandrindod could have levelled with Tom Durant being denied while a couple of scrambles in the Penycae box could not be finished off.

Penycae got their second following a breakaway from a Llandrindod corner on 58 minutes with Josh Mazarella finishing in style. It was always going to be difficult for Llandrindod from then with goals hard to come by this time and Thomas Edwards extended Penycae’s lead. That virtually secured the points but Llandrindod never gave up and Ashley Jones gained a consolation in stoppage time with a header from Gavin Rowlands’ corner.



Builth Wells suffered a cruel defeat at Llanuwchllyn as John Evans snatched a 92nd-minute winner for the hosts in the Ardal League North East. 

Builth manager, Jason Samuel said: “We were obviously disappointed to concede so late in the game having played very well with a depleted squad.”

It was a tight affair and Builth had a couple of first half chances with Tommy Rowlands firing wide after good work from Aeron Powell while Danny Hall had a shot blocked. Llanuwchllyn had the greater share of possession but Builth defended very well, restricting them to any clear-cut openings.

Warren Aykroyd-Duckett broke the deadlock with a header from a corner on 68 minutes. But Builth persevered and Rowlands flashed a drive wide after cutting inside before delivering an inch perfect corner for Danny Ives to head an equaliser at the near post with five minutes remaining. 

Builth themselves had scored stoppage time goals in their two previous outings and on Saturday it was their turn to be on the receiving end as Evans netted with a scuffed header which bounced over Kham Steventon from another set-piece to deny The Bulls a point.    



Llanfair United made it back to back wins to ease their relegation fears with an impressive 4-1 victory at Rhos Aelwyd in the Ardal League North East. The home side had taken the lead through Aled Parry but Flynn Morris and Sam Jones struck for Llanfair before half-time and player-manager, Karl Seliaerts and Jones were on target in the second half.

Cefn Albion bounced back from their defeat at Radnor Valley the previous week to record a 4-1 win against bottom of the table, Welshpool Town with Tom Smith marking his first start since a transfer from Rhos Aelwyd with two of the goals. Josh Astley and Alex Williams were Albion’s other marksmen with Ethan Kinsey getting Welshpool’s reply from the penalty spot.  

Meanwhile Ardal League North East leaders, Penrhyncoch are through to the semi-finals of the Dragon Signs FAW Amateur Trophy after triumphing 4-1 at Seven Sisters Onllwyn. Cameron Allen and Daniel Owen each netted twice for The Roosters who will now face Ardal League South East leaders and Trophy holders, Trethomas Bluebirds. In the other semi-final, Newport City meet Cefn Cribwr.


Knighton Town had beaten Penparcau at home in the MMP Central Wales League (South) last month but failed to repeat the feat as they fell to a 3-0 defeat at Min-y-Ddol on Saturday. The Radnor Robins competed well against the league leaders during a goalless first half but went behind when substitute, Ciaran Evans netted for Penparcau midway through the second period. Mattie Davies doubled their advantage before Aaron Davies-Thomas clinched the points three minutes from time.

Machynlleth remain second to Penparcau and won 2-1 at Penybont United in a match played at Newtown’s Latham Park with The Racecourse still waterlogged. Penybont have struggled this season but turned in a battling display boosted by the return of Cian Bufton and Jack Duggan. Johan Auf Den Kamp scored both Machynlleth goals on 33 and 45 minutes but Penybont did reduce the deficit in the second half through Owain Rowlands.

Tregaron maintained their hopes of a top two finish with a 5-0 win against Aberystwyth University. Josh Taylor scored twice and Rhun Garner, Ryan Davies and Paul James completed the nap hand. 

Presteigne St Andrews were on the wrong end of a 4-3 thriller at Llanandras Park last Monday night when Will Ludlow’s last minute penalty snatched the points for Aberystwyth University. Stefan Kirwin had put Presteigne ahead and they then saw coach, Matthew Venables sent off. Adam Carey equalised but Nial Rhodes regained Presteigne’s lead three minutes into the second half. Carey and Kieran Booker struck for the students to put them in front for the first time but Byron Jones made it all square before Ludlow won it from the penalty spot after which Presteigne’s Corin Jones also picked up a second yellow card.

Kerry extended their lead at the top of the MMP Central Wales League (North) to eleven points with a 6-1 home success over Carno in the one game that survived the weather. In the absence of leading goalscorer, Richard Davies, Fin Bellamore took centre stage with five goals for The Lambs including a four minute hat-trick in the first half. Huw Mainwairing had given Kerry the lead while Llewelyn Jerman netted Carno’s consolation.  

A number of sides are in the hunt for runners-up spot including Berriew and Four Crosses, who drew 2-2 in midweek. Will Howard and an own goal from Berriew keeper, Chris Brown, put Crosses two up at half-time but Spencer Roberts netted twice for Berriew.  


Penrhyncoch picked up their first points in the FAW National Reserve League Central League Cup (West) with a 3-1 home verdict over Dolgellau on Friday night. First half goals from Luke Bowen, Chris Wilkins and Eddie Rhodes put them on their way. Rhodes also missed a first half penalty and Dolgellau saw Jonathan Leeds sent off before the break with Ieuan Brooks (pen) gaining a consolation for Dolgellau.  

The matches at Builth Wells and Llandrindod Wells in the FAW National Reserve League Central were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.


Rhayader Town Reserves pulled off one of their best results of the season with an impressive 3-0 win at JT Hughes Montgomery Amateur League leaders, Llangedwyn. The Red Kites scored all three in the second half after the teams went in at half-time goalless. Liam Addison broke the deadlock seven minutes after the interval and Jacob Jones added a second. And first team manager, Addison sealed the points with his second with Warren McFadden providing his second assist of the afternoon. 

There was no joy for Rhayader’s close neighbours St Harmon who were beaten 2-0 at Llanfair United Reserves. The goals came at the start and end of the afternoon with Matthew Stephens giving Llanfair a second minute lead and Sean Roberts sealing the points  on the full time whistle. 

Newcastle just cannot find any kind of consistency and bowed out of the Amateur League Llansantffraid Village Cup, beaten 4-1 at home by Trefonen. Mark Pugh gave Newcastle the lead but Dean Davies put Trefonen back on terms. It was well into the second half before Liam Davies edged Trefonen ahead and two late goals from Tom Gale clinched it for the visitors - his second an unstoppable strike from 25 yards.