Honours were shared between Knighton Town and Presteigne St Andrews, following a 1-1 draw at Bryn-y-Castell, in the east Radnorshire MMP with Norman Lloyd Central Wales League (South) derby on Boxing Day.

Sam Hoyle headed in a second half equaliser for Knighton Town after Luke Boundford had given the visitors a first half lead.

Knighton Town's Sam Sainsbury saw his second half penalty thunder off an upright as honours were even between the teams.

Dan Dawson saw red for Knighton Town in the closing stages for comments made on the field.

Knighton Town and Presteigne St Andrews
Neither side could find a late winner to snatch all three points (Barcud-Coch Photograhy)

It was the visitors who had the first genuine goalscoring opportunity of the match, played in front of a large festive crowd, when former Knighton Town player Jack Davies fired wide of goal from just inside the penalty area after a third minute corner was only partially cleared by the Knighton Town defence.

The hosts responded within 60 seconds when Callum Stead latched on to a through ball and rounded Jordan Bailey in the Presteigne St Andrews goal but placed his effort wide of the far post from a tight angle.

Stead latched on to a well-timed through ball in the 11th minute but saw his shot cleared off the line after rounding Bailey again before Knighton Town's own Jack Davies fired his effort over the crossbar after being picked out in space on the edge of the penalty area.

Sam Sainsbury was found on the left side of the penalty area in the 24th minute but could only find the side netting of Bailey's near post when he tried his luck on the visitor's goal.

Whilst the Radnor Robins had enjoyed the better of the early stages, and perhaps disappointed not to have been ahead by the midway stage of the opening half, home keeper Nick Cadwallader had to be alert on the half hour mark to come off his line and deny Niall Rhodes to the ball with his feet after the young forward was picked out by the experienced Luke Boundford.

That proved to be a warning sign for the Radnor Robins, as their arch rivals broke the deadlock three minutes later, after winning the ball in midfield and former Aberystwyth Town and Newtown forward Boundford raced clear into the home penalty area before maintaining his composure to slide the ball past Cadwallader.

The hosts attempted to respond when Declan Beddoes struck an effort straight at Bailey in the 35th minute after the ball was played into the penalty area.

Sainsbury went on a driving run towards the byline three minutes later but his near post effort was saved by Bailey.

Beddoes latched on a well-timed pass less than 60 seconds later but saw his underhit effort cleared off the line prior to William Shaw's indirect free-kick from inside the penalty saved by the visiting keeper in the 42nd minute.

Presteigne St Andrews manager Corin Jones would have been pleased to head back to the changing rooms holding a slender advantage but knew the hosts had created a number of good opportunities that had not been converted.

Whilst his counterpart in the adjacent dugout, Harry Stokes, would have been frustrated by his team's profligacy as they looked to repeat last season's Boxing Day victory at Llanandras Park.

The visitors started the second half on the front foot, as they looked to build on their lead, when Boundford was found on the edge of the penalty area but could only fire his low shot straight at Cadwalader.

Knighton Town were keen to find themselves back on level terms as Sainsbury drove into the visitor's penalty area in the 50th minute but struck his low shot wide of the far post.

The Radnor Robins were back on level terms four minutes later when Sam Hoyle leapt like a salmon to emphatically head the ball past Bailey from a Dan Farner corner.

The hosts nearly took the lead for the first time in the 61st minute but Hoyle saw his effort come back of a post after the ball was laid into his path by Stead.

Knighton Town were handed the opportunity to forge ahead for the first time in the match three minutes later, after referee Mark Farrington pointed to the penalty spot, but Sainsbury saw his spot-kick thunder back off an upright.

Presteigne St Andrews had a rare sight of goal in the 68th minute when Boundford saw his 25 yard free-kick turned behind for a corner by Cadwallader but it was the hosts who looked more likely to find a winning goal during the closing stages.

Beddoes drove into the penalty area two minutes later but could only find the side netting with his ensuing effort.

Sainsbury went close courtesy of a 25-yard free-kick in the 74th minute before Beddoes had a close-range effort blocked from a tight angle three minutes later.

The Robins had one last push for that elusive goal but substitute Louis Scott's effort deflected behind for a corner following good work by Stead on the right side of the penalty area.

Knighton Town were reduced to 10 men in the final minute of normal time, when substitute Dan Dawson was shown a red card for comments made after his team had been awarded a free-kick, as neither team were able to fashion the winning goal before the final whistle sounded.