Paul Worts' football round-up

Wednesday 8th May 2019 2:34 pm

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.


Builth Wells had secured a top six finish in the MMP Mid Wales League first division with a 3-0 home success over Carno last Tuesday night.

The Bulls have enjoyed a successful end to their first season back in the top flight and manager, Dylan McPhee said: “People are probably surprised at how well we have done.”

Defeat against Carno would have seen them pip Builth for sixth spot but it was comfortable for the home side once Josh Price had fired them ahead. Jack Hammond headed a second from a Sam Williams corner. And it was another Wiliams corner which led to Builth’s third with Richie Powell claiming the final touch.

Radnor Valley ended their league campaign with a disappointing 7-2 defeat at Bow Street.

Tom Williams led the Bow Street scorers with a four-goal haul with Josh Crowl, Ricky Rickets and Owen Roberts-Young also on target. Elliot Williams and Callum Matthews netted for a depleted Radnor who were outplayed in the second half after trailing 2-1 at the break.


Rhayader Town’s bid to land the MMP Mid Wales League (ER Jenkins) Division Two Cup failed as they went down 3-0 to Four Crosses at Llanidloes on Friday night. Crosses dominated possession in the first half without realy threatening the Rhayader goal. Taylor Wozencraft and Ryan Addison had decent chances for Rhayader but they fell behind ten minutes before half-time when, following a succession of corners, Jordan Gerrard headed home.

Rhayader had a good spell at the start of the second half and Jamie Evans saw his header come back off the underside of the bar from Wozencraft’s cross. Kyle Wilson then netted with two free-kicks to seal the win for Four Crosses with Rhayader ending the game with nine men after Joe Wozencraft and Cameron Mills both picked up two yellow cards while Crosses also had a player sent off in what was never a dirty game.

It was a good week for Crosses who clinched the second automatic promotion spot with a 2-0 win at Rhayader. The Red Kites pushed Crosses all the way only to conceded two later goals. First Cameron Mills was harshly adjudged to have conceded a foul and from the resulting free-kick, Gareth Jones netted. Then Joe Wozencraft gave away a foul which Rhayader felt was outside the box but referee, Steve Fisher awarded a penalty which Josh Thomas duly put away.

Hay St Marys were certain to finish third prior to their final league match of the season at Borth United on Saturday. But The Saints will be disappointed t suffering a 4-1 defeat despite taking the lead through topscorer, Jack Biggs. Borth hit back to lead 3-1 at half-time through Ryan Davies, Dion Ellis-Clarke and an own goal and despite having the better of the second half, Hay conceded a fourth late on with Ryan Davies bagging his second.


Penybont United won the Pip Samuel (Electrical) Mid Wales (South) League Cup with a 4-2 win against Llanidloes Town Reserves at Builth Wells. The Polecats returned to the Mid Wales (South) at the start of the season to rebuild under player-manager, Gavin Johnson.

And with a fourth placed finish and now the League Cup, Penybont could well challenge for league honours next season. Llanidloes have enjoyed a super run with fourteen straight league wins to secure runners-up spot but on the day The Daffs had no complaints.

Llanidloes made the brighter start on Saturday but Penybont stood firm and went in front against the run of play with Phil Ruell firing into the bottom corner. Scott Davies added a second ten minutes into the second half finding space in the box to smash home. Llanidloes got a goal back with fifteen minutes remaining but as they pressed, Penybont broke with Davies cutting the ball back for Ezra Tattershall to score. Rory Brown increased the lead with a good finish meaning a late header from Rhys Evans was no more than a consolation for The Daffs.

The League Cup and individual trophies were presented by sponsor, Pip Samuel who gave his man of the man award to Penybont’s Scott Davies.


Berriew won the Central Wales Cup for the first time ever after defeating Llanrhaeadr on penalties in Saturday’s final. The Rhiwsiders were disappointed at conceding in stoppage time as Llanrhaeadr made it 3-3 but after no further score in extra-time, Berriew triumphed 3-0 on penalties.

Llanrhaeadr made a dream start with Matthew Jones giving them a first minute lead. Tom Evans added a second but Richard Davies pulled one back before half-time. Davies levelled the scores midway through the second half and Berriew went ahead when a post denied Davies his hat-trick but Joe Haycock was on hand to net the rebound. Tom Evans forced the extra half hour with his last ditch equaliser and although Llanrhaeadr had the better of extra-time, they missed their first three penalties to give Berriew the Cup.


Matty Tong grabbed an extra-time winner as Hay St Marys retained the Hay Senior Cup with a 3-2 victory over Shobdon. The Saints twice had to come from behind in normal tinme with goals from Tong and man of the match, Jack Evans. Shobdon went ahead but Hay were level midway through the first half with Greg Preece putting strike partner Tong through on goal. The second half saw Hay get on top but Shobdon defended well and regained the lead. Hay pressure finally paid off when Evans netted with just three minutes to play. The winner came in the first half of extra-time when Harry Hooper robbed a Shobdon defender and his effort was saved only for Tong to slide home the rebound at the far post.

In the final of the Ron Ellis Cup earlier in the day, Presteigne Reserves suffered the agony of a defeat in a penalty shoot out against Wellington Colts. Presteigne were two down at half-time but hit back with goals on 70 and 95 minutes before losing 4-1 on penalties.