Rhayader Town saw their hopes of lifting the MMP with Norman Lloyd Central Wales League E R Jenkins Cup come to an abrupt halt when they were defeated 5-2 by Tregaron Turfs in their semi-final at Y Weirglodd.

The Red Kites earned a home tie in the last-four stage of the competition after finishing top of a group that also contained Knighton Town, Penybont united and Presteigne St Andrews. But the Radnorshire outfit knew they would face a tough challenge after the Turfs had defeated MMP with Norman Lloyd Central Wales League (North) Kerry in the League Cup final earlier in the month. 

The Ceredigion club made a strong start and their early endeavour paid off when they broke the deadlock after the experienced Ryan Davies latched onto Liam Jones’ quickly-taken 14th minute free-kick to beat Rhayader Town keeper Eifion Price with a first time shot into the far corner of the net.

Despite being on the back foot for the opening quarter of the evening, the Red Kites found themselves on level terms nine minutes later, when Bradley Goodwin advanced towards goal and curled a sumptuous 25-yard shot into the top corner of Iestyn Rees-Greaves’ goal.

The Ceredigion club looked to hit back immediately after the restart as Price came on to deny both Josh Taylor and Jones with brave save at their feet when through on goal.

Ifan Jones was denied by Price after being picked out in space in the 36th minute before keeping out a header from Taylor following Jones' cross delivered from out on the left flank.

Price was certainly being kept busy in the latter stages of the first-half as he denied Davies from close range in the 41st minute before Aled Morgan fired wide from the edge of the penalty area.

The hosts had an opportunity to take the lead two minutes before the break but Kai Evans could only direct his shot at Rees-Greaves from the edge of the penalty area.

Rhayader Town manager Matty Lewis would have been content to head to the changing rooms on level terms given the pressure they came under during the early staged of this semi-final but knew the Turfs would be determined to be less profligate after the interval. 

The Red Kites made the worst possible start to the second-half when Jones latched on to a through ball from Paul James to finish past Price two minutes after the restart.

It went from bad to worse for Rhayader Town, as they conceded their third goal of the evening in the 52nd minute, when Taylor found the back of the net from the edge of the penalty area after the home defence failed to clear the ball properly.

Tregaron Turfs then virtually sealed their place in the final against Machynlleth two minutes later when Davies found the back of the net after being played through on goal. 

The Ceredigion club looked to extend their advantage with Rhun Garner trying his luck from 25 yards in the 69th minute.

Time was soon running out for Rhayader Town as Dareen Murphy's effort from the edge of the penalty area could only be directed at Rees-Greaves in the 76th minute. 

The Radnorshire hosts did reduce the deficit in the 90th minute when captain Ryan Addison lifted the ball over Rees-Graeves when the Turfs keeper was off his line after attempting to claim the ball. 

But the visitors regained their three-goal buffer moments following the restart when Paul James' deflected strike found the back of the net to seal a place in the final against Machynlleth.