Brecon produced a stuttering display to overcome Tata Steel away from home at the weekend.


They travelled back home with the bonus point but the manner of the victory did not match the high standard set by the coaching team.

Brecon’s travelling support must have anticipated a comfortable victory over a struggling Tata team, which had lost all its 19 matches this season. However this was not the case, as Brecon coughed up too many penalties and put in an uncharacteristically lacklustre performance.

Brecon crossed the line twice early on but were brought back for a forward pass and a foot in touch. They did score when Dion Mcintosh made a half break and found ever-supporting flanker, Osian Davies, on the inside, who claimed the opening try, which was converted by McIntosh.

Brecon then had an opportunity to create pressure but their touchline penalty kick didn’t find the line and Tata escaped and then benefited from an interception try.

Brecon needed to settle after this and they were helped by good performances from Osian Davies, Ioan Edwards and Geraint Powell - who was particularly prominent. From another penalty kick to touch Brecon showed discipline as they drove a rolling maul towards the home line and when the maul was pulled down just short of the try line, the referee had no choice but to award a penalty try.

Brecon should have been able to kick on from there but a soft penalty allowed Tata to cut the deficit before Brecon extended their lead as the half approached. The score was simple but clinical. From a scrum in the Tata 22 Brecon attacked around the fringes. Geraint Powell was dragged down just short but he delivered quick ball which was moved right to Sam Jones who crossed in the corner. McIntosh converted brilliantly off the touch line.

The second half started with Brecon facing the wind but with a 21 points to 8 advantage. But the half didn’t start well. A silly penalty gave Tata another three points. 10 points ahead, Brecon looked to extend their lead and win a bonus point but in spite of a couple of Jake Crockett breaks Brecon’s play just wasn’t accurate enough and it was Tata who scored next again from a penalty from halfway after some Brecon ill-discipline.

After a long period of easily forgotten rugby Brecon finally clicked. A couple of drives in midfield drew the defence and then, lovely interplay between wing Sam Jones and centre Tom Richards ended with Richards running in for a try which McIntosh converted. That should have set Brecon up for a comfortable finish. But Tata were again offered relief from an interception. A great Tom Richards chase and tackle prevented the try but Tata showed great spirit and with full back Isaac Morgan causing the Brecon defence problems, Tata deservedly scored a try in the corner.

Now with just a seven-point advantage there were some anxious moments during the final minutes. A great Osian Davies turnover helped and Brecon should have scored when, with the line at their mercy, two Brecon players collided and the ball was lost. It was with relief that Geraint Workman kicked the ball to touch at the final whistle.

Brecon now have a two-week break before a testing challenge when they face Dunvant and then Narberth over consecutive weekends at Parc de Pugh.

Brecon Athletic returned home from Rumney with another great 31 points to 19 victory under their belts. The constantly improving youth team just lost out to Lampeter by 19 points to 21.