SATURDAY saw the Ladies team back in action at their home pitch at Penlan.

The girls were playing Whitchurch Saints, who were placed four places above the home team in the league table.

Whitchurch were hopeful for a win and started the game confidently, intercepting a pass from the home team in the early stages of the game.

With a few players playing out of position, the home team took a little time to settle into their formation. The early attack allowed Whitchurch to drive the ball into Brecon’s defensive quarter.

The defence were quick to react and managed make a successful tackle, but unfortunately with the ball being deflected off the pitch, Whitchurch were awarded a long corner. This allowed the away team to put a set play into action, passing the ball out to their right midfield who drove the ball toward the back line and passed the ball to a player positioned in the penalty spot. The ball was stuck into the corner of the goal, and the score became 1-0 to the Saints.

Brecon team were undeterred, and were quick to retaliate. The midfield increased the intensity of the game, driving through Whitchurch’s defence to give the forwards a chance to go for goal.

Hannah Mills won the girls a short corner as she drove the ball towards goal, and was challenged by the Whitchurch goal keeper. The short corner went straight to Emily James, positioned at the top of the circle. The goal keeper saved her direct strike, allowing Anna Prothero to retrieve the rebounded shot and pass to Olivia Mills neatly positioned on the right post. Olivia slipped the ball in past the goalkeeper to even the score.

The first goal seemed to spur the Ladies on, their confidence grew and the attacks on Whitchurch strengthened. The three forwards worked well together and the second goal came from Hannah Mills on the left from a pass from Hannah Williams. The girls now had a 2-1 lead.

Barely five minutes had passed and the girls were on the attack again. The third goal came from Olivia Mills again, who speeded around Whitchurch’s defence to allow herself to slip the ball in from the right post. This gave the home team a comfortable lead of 3-1 going into the second half of the game.

The home team were aware that they still had all to play for in the second half. The away team’s frustrations were growing, and they would be out to even the score following their half time team talk. Brecon tried to play a safe game, aiming to hold possession and withhold the opportunity for Whitchurch to score. Tensions were growing as Whitchurch applied pressure in attack, playing some excellent three way passes, and gaining confidence to pass the ball back and transfer the ball across the pitch.

The away team were awarded a couple of short corners for their efforts, but Brecon’s defence held strong and managed to clear the ball back up to the midfield. However, their attacks were not in vain, and a quick strike from a forward positioned at the top of the circle brought the score to 3-2.

The last 15 minutes of the game were fraught with tension for both the players and sideline supporters! However, the girls stayed strong and managed to finish the game with a 3-2 win! This was great news for the girls, who will now move up in the league table after securing 3 points. Player of the match went to Emily James.

The girls would like to thank their sponsors, James Dean Estate Agents and Select Security Specialists. Thanks also to the Market Tavern for providing post-match teas.