Radnor Valley are one step away from a place in the Central Wales Cup Final. The Goats once again kept their nerve to defeat MMP Mid Wales League Division One rivals, Carno on penalties after the sides were locked together at 1-1 after extra-time. And as against Guilsfield and Caersws in the two previous rounds, Radnor triumphed in a penalty shoot out.

Joey Price had an early effort blocked for Radnor but February’s MMP Mid Wales League Division One Player of the Month did give them the lead beating the off-side trap to run through and slot home. But Carno were back on terms before half-time with Andy Evans, who was January’s Player of the Month , poking the ball home despite frantic efforts from Radnor to clear.

Radnor enjoyed the wind at their backs in the second half and Geraint Lloyd and Callum Matthews both hit the woodwork. The tie went to extra-time with no further score although both sides had their chances before it went to penalties with Radnor triumphing 4-2 as Will Fowden produced two fine saves and Elliot Williams netted the winning spot-kick.

Berriew are also through to the last four with two first half goals from Joe Haycock paving the way for a 2-1 victory over Bow Street whose Tomos Williams replied in the second half.

Builth Wells saw their quarter final tie at Llanrhaeadr postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and the Four Crosses v Llanidloes Town tie was also postponed.


Montgomery Town will be playing in the MMP Mid Wales League first division next season after clinching the second division title with a 3-0 victory at Aberystwyth University. Montgomery cannot now be caught after goals from Tom Evans (2) and Scott Williams saw them register a thirteenth straight league win.

The second promotion spot will go to either Hay St Marys or Four Crosses. Hay currently lead their rivals by eight points but Crosses have three games in hand. Hay were frustrated on Saturday when their home clash with Dolgellau fell foul to the weather while Crosses should have met Llanidloes Town in a Central Wales Cup quarter final but that was also postponed.

Elsewhere in Division Two, there were wins for Borth United and Dyffryn Banw. Borth won for the first time in the league since November beating Abermule 4-2 at home. Nick Mumby had given the visitors an early lead but Guto Huws levelled and two goals from Sam Chapman put Borth in the driving seat by half-time. Ricky Davies reduced the deficit in the second half but Ryan Davies added a fourth in the last minute for Borth who are Hay St Marys’ opponents this week-end.

Dyffryn Banw made it three wins from their last four with goals from Harri Evans and Brian Griffiths securing a 2-1 verdict at Waterloo Rovers who replied through Charlie Proctor.

Four Crosses continue to impress following a big 9-0 win at Machynlleth last Tuesday night. Gareth Jones led the way with a four goal haul and there was also a hat-trick for Ben Simms with Harry Davies and Shin Miah completing the scoreline.

n In the one game played in Division One, Tywyn Bryncrug hauled themselves out of the bottom two with a 4-0 victory at Llansantffraid Village. Tom Allen Davies scored twice with Aled Jones and Cullen Rodgers completing the win.


Llanidloes Town Reserves made it twelve wins in a row in the Watson Financial Mid Wales League (South) with a hard earned 2-1 home success over Knighton Town. Playing their last game of what has been a turbulent season, The Robins took a first half lead through Matty Becker. Greg Brown then levelled for Llanidloes but saw Knighton have a penalty saved by Dan Richards following afoul by James Coleman. But The Daffs currently do not know how to lose and Knighton paid the price for that miss as Coleman headed a late winner at the other end.

Newcastle were convincing winners in the local derby at Felindre, going home with a 6-1 verdict. Mark Jones led the way with a four goal haul and Carl Price and Tom Bright were also on target with JJames Reynolds netting Felindre’s consolation.

It was a productive week for Newcastle as last Tuesday night, they pulled off a 3-2 win at Presteigne Reserves. Two goals from player-manager, Craig Morris put the Shropshire side in control and Richard Jones grabbed their winner after Tom Crichton’s brace had levelled it up for Presteigne.

Talgarth remain on course for the title after a 3-1 victory in their local derby at Hay St Marys Reserves in midweek. Harry Sharman gave them the lead from the penalty spot when Alex Simmonds was hacked down but Darren Horrigan equalised with a well worked goal for The Saints. Hay ‘keeper, Tom Bevan pulled off a couple of decent saves but Talgarth restored their lead in the second half. Scott Powell. Fresh from a trip to Valencia with the Wales Veterans squad, converted a Gavin Perry corner at the near post and Perry sealed the three points netting the rebound after Bevan had denied Ben Sharman.

In the other Mid Wales (South) game played last week, St Harmon and Builth Wells Reserves played out a goalless draw at The Bryn. St Harmon have been strengthened by the return of ‘keeper, Barry Evans while Builth’s stand-in ‘keeper, Simon Edwards also kept a clean sheet at the other end.


Talgarth Town are now chasing a League and Cup double after progressing to the last four of the Pip Samuel (Electrical) Mid Wales (South) League Cup with a hard fought 2-1 home passage against Llandrindod Wells Reserves. He Spa side are the only team to have taken league points off Talgarth and they took the lead on Saturday though Leroy Smith. Topscorer, Harry Sharman tapped in a rebound when Gavin Perry’s corner came back off the far post and the influential Perry won it for Talgarth lashing he ball home from just inside the box.

Talgarth have been drawn away at Penybotn United in the semi-final with The Polecats having kept their season alive with a 5-1 win against Brecon Northcote. Former Newbridge midfielder, Alfie Stonefield netted twice with Scott Davies, Elliot Watkins and Finn Francis, with his first goal for the club, also on target. Kyle O’Shea grabbed Northcote’s consolation.

In the other half of the draw, in-form Llanidloes Town Reserves will host Presteigne Reserves or Hay St Marys Reserves whose tie was postponed last week-end.


Radnor Valley’s Joey Price has, not for the first time, been named the MMP Mid Wales League Division One Player of the Month for February. Price has been rewarded for some fine performances and he carried that form over into March with another two goals last Saturday.

The first division Manager of the Month award goes to Llanfair United’s Rhys Stephens. Llanfair recorded league wins over Churchstoke, Kery and Llandrindod Wells and now trail leaders, Llanidloes Town by six points but have four games in hand.

Michael Barton is the second division manager of the Month with his Four Crosses side pushing for promotion while the Player of the Month in Division Two is Aberystwyth University’s Daniel Price.