Saturday 2nd September 23  Candor Talent Gwent Central League Division 2  Talgarth Town FC          2  Panteg AFC Reserves  0  Talgarth Town FC opened their Candor Talent Gwent Central League campaign with a hard fought two nil victory over Panteg AFC Reserves. 

Off the back of a successful pre-season there was expectation around King George V Playing Fields and the home supporters were not to be disappointed with Talgarth taking all three points with a deserved two nil victory.

Talgarth Town FC
RAF veteran and Talgarth Town FC Life President John Gwynne (102 years young) presenting the match ball to serving soldier Garry Fernandez (Referee) before the game against Panteg AFC Res. (Talgarth Town FC)

  Talgarth were quick into their stride taking the game to their visitors.

However as a result of strong defending and missed opportunities the game remained without a goal until the twenty-fourth minute when young Gresh Chondnicki received the ball twenty yards from the Panteg goal and with a trademark strike gave the visiting keeper no chance of saving.

As the half progressed Panteg enjoyed more ball possession but rarely troubled a well organised Talgarth midfield and backline.

Talgarth continued to create chances but there was to be no further score before the halftime break.  The second half kicked off with Talgarth on the front foot when within minutes Harry Sharman rattled the Panteg crossbar with a twenty-five yard strike, the ball rebounded to Chondnicki who drew a fine save from the visiting keeper and then to the disbelief of the home supporters the same player saw his strike rebound off the post. 

However the somewhat relieved home supporters did not have to wait long for the all important second goal when captain Matty Lloyd came forward for a Talgarth corner and thundered a header into the back of the Panteg net.  The remainder of the game was played out with both teams creating chances but there was to be no further score.

The Panteg keeper made a number of fine saves and "lady luck" favoured Talgarth when the ball ricocheted off legs in the home  six yard box before being cleared to safety.  This was another encouraging performance by the home team to take forward to the next game away to Usk Town AFC Reserves in a fortnight's time.  Mark (Tiny) Harding and his management team can be pleased with the result but will be under no illusions that tough games lie ahead.