Builth Wells ensured they were not a victim of a JD Welsh Cup upset on Saturday afternoon after easing to an 8-1 second qualifying round victory over Knighton Town at Bryn-y-Castell.

The visitors opened the scoring in the sixth minute when Danny Hall pounced on an error in the Radnor Robins’ defence before the former Llandrindod Wells forward headed home at the near post from a corner seven minutes later to double the lead for Builth Wells.

The Bulls extended their advantage when Hall converted a 17th minute penalty after he had been brought down in front of goal to complete his treble.

The Radnor Robins had been hopeful of recording another shock result, after disposing of higher-graded Hay St Mary’s in the previous round, but were shell-shocked following the start made by their Lock Stock Ardal North East opponents.

Knighton Town tested out their opponents goal in the 19th minute when Sam Hoyle thundered a 25-yard rocket that came back off the crossbar before former Robin, Danny Ives, struck an effort wide of the far post within 60 seconds at the opposite end of the pitch.

Knighton Town conceded again, in the 35th minute, when defender Chris Roff eventually forced the ball over the line from a corner.

The hosts did reduce the deficit within two minutes of the restart when Declan Beddoes found the back of the net following a neat turn and shot past Kham Steventon.

The Builth Wells management duo of Scott Russell and Jason Smauel knew they had one foot in the next round of the competition but no doubt did not want their players’ commitment to drop after the half-time break.

The Breconshire outfit regained their four-goal advantage on the hour mark when Jamie Evans drove into the host’s penalty area before slotting the ball into the far corner of Danny Bird’s goal.

Builth Wells extended their lead four minutes later when Lyndon Jones curled a 25-yard free-kick into the bottom corner of the net after Greg Preece had been pulled back as he drove towards the Knighton Town penalty area.

The former Hay St Mary’s striker then converted successfully from the penalty spot in the 67th minute after Jones was brought down by the advancing Bird.

Sam Hoyle provided a rare second-half goalscoring opportunity for Knighton Town when his header from a 73rd- minute free-kick was deflected behind for a corner by Steventon. But the Bulls concluded the scoring in the 78th minute when Tommy Rowlands converted a low cross from the right past Bird at the near post to seal his team’s place in the draw for the first round.

The Radnor Robins will now turn their attention to league action, having bowed out of the JD Welsh Cup, while their opponents will have gained some confidence as they search for their first Lock Stock Ardal North East victory of the campaign.

Beaumont and Edwards fire Radnor into first round

Radnor Valley will join Builth Wells in the JD Welsh Cup first round proper after an excellent 2-1 success at Ardal League rivals, Llansantffraid Village.

Radnor were without a number of key players but went ahead when Charlie Beaumont volleyed his first goal of the season from a Joey Price free-kick.

Price hit the post with another free-kick before Thomas Edwards added a second goal after going on a mazy run into the box and playing a neat one-two with Jack Williams.

Beaumont went through one on one in the second half but fired over and Llansantffraid reduced the deficit when Jack Harris netted with a free-kick.

The home side pressed hard for an equaliser from then but Radnor defended for their lives to put their name in the hat for the next round.

Llandrindod Wells are however out of the competition following a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of in-form Bow Street.

But the Spa men without key players in Ashley Jones, Shaun Nicholls and Jack Evans, put in a good shift.

They took the lead through Michael Collister, who was making his first start in close on four years, in first half stoppage time. Rhydian Davies levelled immediately and two goals from Sion Ewart early in the second half meant there was no way back for Llandrindod.

Elsewhere in Mid Wales there were JD Welsh Cup wins for Penrhyncoch Tregaron, Penparcau and Montgomery Town.

Penryncoch eased to a 6-0 win over Abermule with Daniel Owen and Jonathan Evans each scoring twice while Courtney Perkins and Tom Evans completed the six hit.

Liam Jones grabbed the winner as Tregaron triumphed 3-2 at Machynlleth. Paul James had earlier twice put Tregaron ahead but Mach responded through Gareth Hughes and Isaac Aldred.

And it really was a good day for Ceredigion with Penparcau beating higher graded Llanfair United 3-1 on penalties after the sides were goalless after ninety minutes. Montgomery drew 1-1 with Llanilar before a thrilling 6-5 win in another shoot-out.