Brecon Corries turned in one of their best performances of the season to beat second-placed Risca United at The Rich Field.



Both teams observed a minute’s silence prior to kick off to mark the passing of ex-Corries player, Steve Wilson.

Corries’ player-manager, Damien Daniels felt his side could get something from the game on the back of a more than decent performance in the defeat against Newport City the previous week - and his side started well.

Joe Cooper, Joel Evans, Craig Evans and Jack Bain had chances before Corries broke the deadlock on 32 minutes with Craig Evans netting from a right wing cross. But Risca levelled in first half stoppage time when Oliver Berry scored with a cracking volley, giving Declan Gaydon no chance.

The game was certainly not for the faint hearted and a melee right on the half-time whistle appeared to carry over into the second half when Corries’ Bain and Risca’s Connor Evans saw red on 50 minutes.

The Rich Field side regained their lead midway through the second half with captain, Dale Evans volleying home following a corner. Daniel Battle equalised for Risca from the penalty spot after a foul by Gaydon with nine minutes remaining but it was the turn of another of the four Evans brothers to put Corries ahead for a third time. This time it was topscorer, Joel, who found the net as he chased down a backpass and capitalised when the keeper fumbled.

And soon after it was game over as Nyle Slade added a fourth with virtually his first touch after coming off the bench when he fired home from 20 yards.


Ardal North East League leaders, Penrhyncoch are through to the quarter-finals of the Dragon Signs FAW Amateur Trophy following a 3-0 home success over Penrhiwceiber Rangers.

Geoff Kellaway proved both hero and villain for The Roosters, scoring twice before being sent off. The former Aberystwyth Town front man gave Penrhyn an interval lead. Daniel Owen added a second and Kellaway all but sealed the tie before his red card, which will rule him out of the quarter-final. Penrhiwceiber had goalkeeper, Jacob Ireland red carded in the same incident while Jarrad Welch also picked up his second yellow card for the visitors.

There was heartache for Llanrhaeadr who suffered a 1-0 defeat at home against Holyhead Hotspur whose substitute, Deian Parry got the all important goal three minutes from time.

Holders, Trethomas Bluebirds, now captained by former Penrhyncoch midfielder, Gwion Pugh-Jones, booked their spot coming from behind to beat Ardal South East rivals, Lliswerry 4-1 at home. Dale Cooke gave Lliswerry the lead but James Young and Levi Rees hit back before half-time with Rees completing a hat-trick in the second half.


Cefn Albion soared into third spot in the Ardal League North East by beating Llansantffraid Village for the second week in a row.

After a 4-0 away success seven days earlier, Albion won 3-0 to make it six wins from their last seven to put the pressure on Penrhyncoch and Radnor Valley at the top. On Saturday all their goals came in the first half from Leighton Kendrick, Josh Astley and Jordan Williams before Llansantffraid saw Sean Griffiths sent off midway through the second half.

In the only other game to beat the weather, Llangollen Town moved out of the bottom two with a big 8-0 win against Welshpool Town. There were two goals each for William Cooke and Jake Hayward with Josh Pilgrim, Jack Hanley, Callum Roberts and James Samuels also joining in the spree.

The big local derby between Llandrindod Wells and Radnor Valley was called off just half an hour before kick-off following a pitch inspection by the match referee.


Big news from the MMP Central Wales League last week saw Aberaeron withdraw from the South division on Friday.

The club has struggled to field two teams for much of the season and despite being given a period of grace, Aberaeron have called it a day. It leaves the division, already short on numbers, with just nine teams and all Aberaeron’s results will be expunged from the league table. This means local clubs, Presteigne St Andrews and Rhayader Town will lose three points while Penybont will lose four having drawn and beaten the side from the coast.

All Saturday’s league games were postponed but leaders, Penparcau beat Llanilar 3-1 in an ER Jenkins Cup group match. The tie was switched from Llanilar to Min-y-Ddol and it paid off as Gytis Pivnickas and Andrew Gittins netted for Penparcau before a late Matthew Shaw own goal sealed the win.

Forden United were another to switch venues for their clash with Carno and it also paid dividends as they won 5-0 to move second in the MMP Central Wales League (North). Jake O’Donnell and Harvey Gill each netted twice with Alistair Williams completing the nap hand.

It does not look as if anyone will catch leaders, Kerry so a number of clubs are battling it out for the runners-up spot. Tywyn lost ground as they were beaten 3-1 at home by Four Crosses with Tom Evans (2) and Ben Simms on target after Aled Jones had given Tywyn the lead.

Berriew were twice behind at Meifod but hit back to win 3-2 through Norton Collins, Spencer Roberts and Dewi Hughes with Alun Hughes having scored both Meifod goals.

Berriew manager, James Langford was the Manager of the Month for November and December and deservedly so as he has really turned things around and The Rhiwsiders had also beaten Tywyn Bryncrug 3-1 in midweek. Norton Collins scored twice and Sion Wilde was the other marksman with Tywyn’s reply an own goal from Kofi Davies.

Elsewhere Jamie Dockerty and Luke Francis (pen) scored for Trewern United in their 2-1 victory at Barmouth.


Newcastle’s six-match unbeaten run in the JT Hughes Montgomery Amateur League came to a halt as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at Waterloo Reserves.

Ed Marston hit the woodwork from a free-kick in the first half for the Shropshire men but Rovers scored just before half-time and then again midway through the second half.

Newcastle could have no complaints with the result and their misery was compounded when Nick Bowen was sent off five minutes from time.

Newcastle remain seventh in the table, 12 points behind leaders Llangedwyn but with two games in hand. The games involving Felindre, Presteigne St Andrews Reserves, Rhayader Town Reserves and St Harmon were all postponed.

Elsewhere Abba Salihi grabbed the winner as Llanfechain moved to within two points of Llangedwyn with a 2-1 verdict at Abermule Reserves. Josh Hodgetts had put Llanfechain ahead but Conor Buckley equalised.

Reuben Coslett Hughes bagged his fourth hat-trick in the last five league games as Four Crosses Reserves beat Berriew Reserves 3-0 while Kerry Reserves, who are the division’s topscorers, triumphed 5-1 at Llanfair United Reserves. Luke Evans scored twice and Rob Harvey, Ryan Jervis and Dan Hughes added further goals before Ryan McVeagh reduced the deficit.


Newtown AFC have unveiled Scott Ruscoe as their new manager to replace Chris Hughes who departed by mutual consent after 10 years in charge at Latham Park.

Ruscoe is one of the most decorated players in Welsh Premier League history having won eight Welsh Premier League titles with The New Saints before leading them to two further title as manager.

Ruscoe spent three seasons as a player with Newtown after being released by Stoke City and Port Vale and after a spell with Chester City, joined TNS in 2002.

And ironically Ruscoe’s first game in charge of The Robins sees Newtown, who are currently fifth in the table, travel to TNS at the start of the Phase Two fixtures on February 6.