Brecon Corries left themselves with too much to do as they suffered a narrow defeat in the Ardal League South East.



Corries conceded three sloppy goals early in the game with Chris Colvin (2) and Joeph Ogogua the Aberbargoed marksmen inside 17 minutes and it was always going to be a long way back from there.

The introduction of Paul Keddle, who replaced the injured Jordan Cooper on the half hour, made a difference to the home side and Luke Roughley pulled a goal back from Keddle’s cross.

Corries were right back in the game then and even more so when Aberbargoed’s Rhys Williams was sent off early in the second half for bringing down Craig Evans when he was last man. The 10-man visitors might have got a fourth but Declan Gaydon saved a penalty from Ogugua and Corries themselves further cut the deficit with Corey Evans netting a penalty at the other end. It was all Brecon from then but Damien Daniels’ side could not find the equaliser they probably deserved following their poor start.

Corries are at home against Ardal League South East rivals, Newport City in the Dragon Signs FAW Trophy on Saturday with the club announcing that former Hay St Marys coach, Paul Burke has joined their back room team after departing Forest Road.



Hay St Marys had an afternoon they will wish to forget after crashing to a heavy defeat in the Ardal League South East.

The Saints, again without key players, handed debuts to Greg Preece, for a second time, and Ollie Woods, who both joined from Builth Wells in the week, but it was Blaenavon’s debutant, Chris Ham who stole the show with a double hat-trick for the hosts.

The Blues were quick out of the blocks with Matthew Burns putting them ahead in the third minute and they were soon three goals to the good with further efforts from Ham and Jacob Bull.

Hay were hampered by an injury to central defender, Steve Goodwin, who has been their best player this time, but Preece briefly raised their hopes when Woods played him in to reduce the deficit.

But Ham, who has moved from Goytre AFC, completed a first half hat-trick, his second and third goals sandwiching one from Jude Bull before Kallem Berry struck to give Blaenavon an unassailable 7-1 half-time lead.

It was a case of damage limitation for The Saints after the break but they conceded five more with the prolific Ham bagging a second half treble. Matthew Burns also completed a hat-trick with the last two goals to leave Hay firmly rooted to the foot of the table following their biggest defeat that many can remember.



Llandrindod Wells produced another excellent performance on the road to draw with unbeaten Bow Street in the Ardal League North East.

In the only game in the division to beat the weather, the determined Spa Men stretched their unbeaten run to three with Richie Powell grabbing a 77th minute equaliser at Cae Piod.

Bow Street were rewarded for their quick start with a goal from former Aberaeron youngster, Caio Carruthers after three minutes. The host enjoyed a lot of possession early on but Llandrindod grew into the game and could have equalised only Kieran McCarley’s shot was deflected from a Robbie Nicholls cut back.

Bow Street were deserving of their interval lead but Llandrindod played well after the break and had a couple of chances to level. McCarley and Richie Powell got in each other’s way after Nicholls robbed a defender and McCarley rounded the keeper but took the ball just too wide. The equaliser came following a corner when Will Cleaton’s volley was saved and Powell fired home the rebound from close range. Llandrindod found themselves under pressure in the closing stages but defended well and always looked dangerous on the break. Bow Street’s best chance came late on when they headed wide but overall Llandrindod were well worth a point with the hosts ending with 10 men when topscorer, Ben Davies picked up a second yellow card in stoppage time.

Llandrindod are away at Conwy Borough, from the Ardal League North West, in the Dragon Signs FAW Trophy on Saturday looking to embark on anther successful Cup run.

Last season they reached the semi-finals before bowing out to eventual Trophy winners, Trethomas Bluebirds.


Knighton Town picked up only their second win of the season in the MMP Central Wales League (South) beating Aberystwyth University 2-1 at Bryn-y-Castell last Monday night.

The students started well but were disrupted by an early injury to Kieran Booker and Knighton grew into the game with Callum Stead taking advantage of a defensive error to hand them the lead two minutes before half-time. Substitute, Dan Dawson fed Declan Beddoes for a second but The Robins might have had a few nervy late moments after Adam Carey reduced the deficit.

The University side bounced back at the weekend with a 2-0 win at Aberaeron. Josh Evans missed a first half penalty for the students but it did not prove costly as Vince Orford scored soon after and Jonny Mead added a second straight after half-time.

Kerry remain top of the MMP Central Wales League (North) following a 4-1 in at Llanfyllin Town. Topscorer, Richard Davies gave them the lead but Will Davies levelled for Llanfyllin. Davies restored Kerry’s lead just before half-time and second half goals from Luke Mumford and Barry Bellis completed the win.

The only points Kerry have dropped this time were in a goalless draw at Montgomery Town who are themselves unbeaten and kept the pressure on the leaders with a landslide 14-0 victory over Barmouth. Tom Halliday led the list of scorers with five of the goals and Tom Evans bagged a hat-trick. Charlie Kinsey scored twice with Josh Evans, Harry Evans, Lee Jones and Alec Jones completing the spree.

Meifod pulled off a fine 1-0 win at Four Crosses with Zach Ward scoring the all important goal on 12 minutes.


Penrhyncoch produced a spirited fightback to pull off a thrilling 4-3 victory over Llanidloes Town in the FAW National Reserve League Central last Wednesday night.

The Daffs had forged a two-goal lead at Cae Baker through Rhys Evans and Adam Nottingham.

Courtney Perkins pulled one back but Nottingham netted his second for The Daffs before half time.

Sion James got a second for Penrhyn and substitute, Luke Davies levelled the scores before Zac Davies grabbed a late winner to complete their comeback and send Llanidloes to their first league defeat of the term.

Llanidloes’ defeat means Bow Street go four points clear at the top of the table after overcoming nine man Dolgellau 3-0 on Sunday. Shaun Wyn Jones opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 25 minutes after Dolgellau’s Rhys Jones had seen red.

Richie Ricketts soon added a second and Rhys Hughes extended the lead in the second half before Michael McManus became the second Dolgellau man to pick up two yellow cards.

The remainder of the Reserve League programme was postponed at the week-end as were all fixtures in the JT Hughes Montgomery Amateur League where Felindre have announced the signing of Ryan Abel from St Harmon.


Talgarth Town kept alive their hopes of progressing to the latter stages of the Gwent Central League Benevolent Cup with a 4-2 home success over Pontnewynydd Reserves. The Royals have now won one and lost one of their group matches.

Matty Lloyd headed Talgarth in front from a corner on Saturday and Steve Potter increased the lead a minute into the second half with another header from another set piece.

Ethan Baldwin immediately pulled one back for the visitors but Grzes Chodnicki and Jordan Harvey (pen) all but clinched the win for Talgarth. Morgan Holdaway grabbed a second for Pontnewynydd nine minutes from time but it was too late to affect the outcome.

Brecon FC meanwhile eased to their second win of the season in the RTM Brickwork Merthyr League with a 6-1 victory over bottom of the table Baili Glas. There were two goals each for Owain Powell-Jones, Rhodri-Jones and Rory Myles-Roberts as The Stags raced into a four goal interval lead.


Newtown’s seven-match winning run in the JD Cymru Premier came to an end as a stoppage time goal from Harry Owen saw them lose 2-1 at Cardiff Met last Tuesday night. Matthew Chubb had given Met the lead five minutes into the second half but topscorer, Aaron Wiliams equalised almost immediately.

Newtown missed the chance to return to winning ways on Friday night when their Mid Wales derby at Aberystwyth Town was postponed.

Aber had lost 3-0 at Caernarfon Town earlier in the week and although there is still along way to go, are in danger of losing their place in the top flight.

The Seasiders are rock bottom with just one win from thirteen league games this time.

The New Saints continue to lead the way at the top after a 6-2 victory at Barry Town United. Brad Young notched a hat-trick with Danny Davies, Josh Daniels and an own goal completing the six hit.

TNS are also through to the 3rd Round of the JD Welsh Cup after a hat-trick from Gwion Dafydd and two goals from Rory Holden helped the holders to a 5-0 midweek success at Ruthin Town.

In the JD Cymru North, Neil Mitchell scored an injury time penalty to salvage Caersws a creditable 3-3 draw at Airbus UK.

The Bluebirds had twice led through former Llanfair United midfielder, Ben Jones but George Peers, Bradley Knight and James Davies scored for Airbus before Mitchell’s late intervention after Sam Phillips was brought down.