10-man Rhayader Town slipped ever closer to relegation from the Ardal League North East following a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Llanfair United.

The Red Kites were always going to be up against it after defender, Cameron Mills was handed a straight red card for violent conduct after just 18 minutes.

But this was one of Rhayader’s best performances of the season and they took the lead in the second half with a great finish from Sion Herman from Joe Wozencraft’s through ball. Matt Spencer equalised with 10 minutes remaining although Rhayader felt they should have had a free-kick in the build up to the goal. Then Llanfair player-manager, Karl Seliaerts pounced on a mistake to snatch a winner three minutes later.

Manager, Dylan McPhee said the attitude of his players was outstanding and they were gutted not to have got something from the game.

Builth Wells saw their home clash with Dolgellau washed out due to a waterlogged Lant Field while Llandrindod Wells suffered a 3-1 defeat at second placed, Cefn Albion where the in-form Callum Mannion made it back-to-back hat-tricks for the hosts. Mannion struck early and then scored twice in as many minutes just before half-time but that was not really a true reflection of proceedings following a decent first half from the Spa men.

Llandrindod continued to battle in the second half and were rewarded when Rhys Davies got one back for them in stoppage time at the end of the game.

Bow Street maintained their title challenge with a comfortable 4-0 success at Llanrhaeadr. Dafydd Carruthers (2), Rhydian Davies (pen) and Ifan Burrell shared the goals while Llanrhaeadr had Dan Kelly sent off in first half stoppage time.

Goals from Jamie Clewlow and Ryan Knott (pen) could not prevent Welshpool Town slipping to a 3-2 defeat at Rhos Aelwyd who scored through Ian Hughes (2) and Dafydd Robertson. And in the day’s remaining game, Penycae won 2-1 at Corwen with goals from Eric Durnell and Osian Williams,


Rhayader Town are ending their FAW National Reserve League Central season with a flourish and notched a 3-2 victory at Builth Wells last Wednesday night. It was a third straight win for The Red Kites which dashed Builth’s hopes of a top-two finish.

It was Builth who took an early lead in difficult conditions when Dafydd Powell slotted home but Sam Crumpton cut in from the left to equalise.

Ollie Leadbetter put Rhayader ahead in first half stoppage time when Ryan Owen headed an Aaran Bates free-kick back across goal and Bates cracked home a third early in the second half. Builth reduced the deficit with substitute, Rhys Cornelius heading in from Gavin Johnson’s cross but as the light faded on The Lant Field so did The Bulls’ hopes of league silverware.

Builth are however ensured of a third place finish despite still having four to play in the league starting with a visit from leaders, Bow Street on Saturday. First they make the short trip to local rivals, Llandrindod Wells in the Reserve League Central West League Cup group stage tonight (Wednesday) while Rhayader travel to Bow Street in the same competition.

Llandrindod had started their Cup campaign at the weekend, falling to a heavy 10-1 defeat against Bow Street at Aberystwyth Town’s Park Avenue. Joseff Williams led the way for the Ceredigion side with a hat-trick. Osian Burrell, Shaun Wyn Jones and Steff Davies all scored twice with Lee Crumpler taking the host to double figures. Player-manager, Reuben Thomas grabbed a consolation for The Spa men who travelled with a bare 11.

In the Reserve Central East League Cup, Llanidloes Town kicked off with a 3-1 verdict at Llanfair United with two goals from Will Denham and one from Rhys Evans.


Tregaron, from the MMP Central Wales League (South) are through to the Emrys Morgan Cup Final for the second time in their history after two extra-time goals from Jac Hockenhull earned a 4-2 victory over Montgomery Town.

Ryan Davies had struck either side of half-time to give Tregaron a two-goal lead at Llanidloes Town’s Victoria Avenue but Montgomery hit back with Conor Buckley and Ryan Jehu forcing extra-time.

Tregaron, whose previous final appearance was in 2006-2007 when they lost to Rhosgoch, will now meet Barmouth on Good Friday in the final at Caersws.The two semi-finals of this season’s Central Wales Cup take place this week.

Holders, Llanidloes Town were due to face Guilsfield at Welshpool last night (Tuesday) while Caersws and Welshpool Town clash tonight (Wednesday) at Guilsfield.

Llanidloes meanwhile are through to the Montgomeryshire Cup Final after a second half penalty from Elliot Jones secured a 1-0 at Welshpool Town. The Daffs will face Kerry or Llanfair United in the final.