Brecon Corries saw their hopes of bringing a four-match winless run to an end dented by two first-half goals from Trethomas Bluebirds on Saturday afternoon.

Despite reducing the deficit within the last 15 minutes of their Floodlighting and Electrical Services Ardal South East fixture, courtesy of substitute Andrew Hammett, the hosts would ultimately suffer a 2-1 defeat at the Rich Field.

The promotion-chasing Bluebirds, who had knocked Haverfordwest County out of the Welsh Cup earlier this season, took the match to their hosts in the opening stages.

Brecon Corries goalkeeper Declan Gaydon had to come off his line in the ninth minute of the match to make a brave save to deny the onrushing Gareth Tedstone.

But that proved to be something of a warning shot for Damien Daniels’ charges, as the visitors opened the scoring five minutes later. Tedstone cut in from the left before rounding Corries goalkeeper Declan Gadon to put the ball on a plate at the far post for Charlie Loss to tap into an empty net.

The hosts looked to respond immediately as former Merthyr Saints frontman Nathan Williams saw his low strike from the edge of the penalty area saved by Tomos Bodger within a minute of the restart.

Just when the hosts had recovered from that setback, the FAW Amateur Trophy semi-finalists doubled their advantage in the 21st minute, when Loss was on hand to fire the ball home after Gaydon had initially kept out Ethan Edwards with a smart save, but was unable to get back up in time to keep the ball out again.

Thomas Gameson drove into the Corries’ penalty area three minutes later, having picked-up the ball out on the right flank, and saw his effort from a tight angle parried away to safety by Gaydon.

The Corries had to make another important save two minutes later to keep out Edwards after the Bluebirds attacker cut inside from the left.

The hosts attempted to recover from the double blow and nearly halved the deficit when Williams saw his header come back off an upright following Craig Evans’ 32nd minute free-kick from out on right touchline.

Edwards tried his luck from 25 yards out just a minute later but this time his effort took a deflection and flew behind for a corner.

Corries captain Dale Evans concluded the first-half with his low shot from the edge of the penalty area, which deflected behind for a stoppage time corner.

The home players were sent back on to the pitch early after no doubt receiving a few stern words in the dressing room from player/manager Damien Daniels.

The visitors seemed more content to sit on their lead in the second-half but the Rich Field men were finding it difficult to break through the Bluebirds’ defence when they reached the attacking third of the pitch.

There were no notable goalscoring opportunities of note to mention during the early stages of the second-half, apart from Trethomas Bluebirds putting the ball in the net after assistant referee Paul Tantrum had raised his flag for an offside decision.

Recent signing Jordan Coooper went on a surging run towards the opposition penalty area in the 70th minute but proceeded to receive a yellow card from referee Aled Jones for his challenge on Gareth Emmanuel.

Edwards then went on a driving run towards the byline five minutes later but saw his inviting pullback intercepted by the Corries defence with a couple of team mates waiting to pounce.

Bluebirds substitute Dafydd Pearce headed narrowly wide of the far post just a minute later following a free-kick delivered from out on the left touchline.

Brecon Corries were rewarded for their efforts in the 78th minute when Bodger was unable to hold substitute James Jeffreys’ driven cross from the byline and Hammett was on hand to squeeze the ball past Bodger at the near post.

Brecon Corries v Bluebirds
Substitute Andrew Hammett reduced the deficit for the hosts, who were unable to find a late equaliser (Barcud-Coch Photography)

Bodger had to be alert within a minute of the restart when he kept out Joe Copper’s low drive from the edge of the penalty area before gratefully holding on to Dale Evans’ 25 yard free-kick in the 85th minute.

Trethomas Bluebirds were reduced to 10 players four minutes later, when Edwards received a second yellow card of the afternoon, but his team ultimately had done enough to secure all three points from their journey over the Brecon Beacons.